State of Victoria Danger and Warnings
Personal Security, Dangers, and Warnings in the State of Victoria, Australia
Victoria is a safe state to live in, but like any other place in the world, there are potential dangers that you need to be aware of. Below are some of the common personal security risks in Victoria, as well as some tips on how to stay safe.
- Street crime: While street crime is not a major problem in Victoria, it is still a possible risk, especially in busy areas such as the CBD. To avoid becoming a victim of street crime, always be aware of your surroundings, keep your valuables hidden, and avoid walking alone at night.
- Violent crime: Acts of violent crime do happen in Victoria, but they are rare. Most of these crimes occur in isolated areas or in relation to drugs and gangs. If you're in a public place and you feel unsafe, seek help from a police officer or a security guard.
- Terrorism: The threat of terrorism exists in Victoria, but the likelihood of an attack is low. Australia's national terrorism threat level is currently set at "probable". If you see any suspicious activity or behavior, report it to the Australian Federal Police by calling the National Security Hotline at 1800 123 400.
- Natural disasters: Victoria is susceptible to natural disasters such as bushfires, floods, and storms. Make sure you're aware of the risks and have a plan in place in case of an emergency. Stay up-to-date with the latest weather and safety alerts by visiting the Emergency Victoria website.
- Road safety: Victoria has some of the safest roads in the world, but accidents can still happen. Always wear a seatbelt, avoid using your phone while driving, and never drink and drive. For more information on road safety, visit the Victoria Police website.
- Cybersecurity: As with anywhere in the world, cybercrime is a potential risk in Victoria. To protect yourself online, use strong passwords, be wary of phishing scams, and keep your software up-to-date. The Australian Cyber Security Centre provides resources and information on staying safe online.
To stay informed about safety and security in Victoria, you may want to visit the following Australian Government websites: